Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Corned beef and cabbage taken to the next level with some easy add-ins to make the prettiest version of this super classic dish.
- 1.5 lb corned beef homemade preferred, see notes
- 1 packet spice mix homemade preferred, see below
- 1 head cabbage small head preferred
- 1 lb potatoes halved, new potatoes preferred
- 1 bunch carrots peeled and cut into 2” lengths, skinny carrots preferred, about 1 lb
- 2 shallots peeled and halved
- 4 oz olives
- 1 tbsp Japanese mustard
Optional Homemade Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 stick cinnamon broken
- 1 bay leaf torn
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp sichuan peppercorns optional
Braise your corned beef with spices at 195ºF for 3-5 hours or until tender.
10 minutes before your beef is done, add potatoes and carrots. Set your oven to 300ºF and sear your shallots in an oven safe pan such as a cast iron skillet. Transfer to oven once seared.
Remove the beef and let rest, then slice against the grain. Add cabbage and simmer for 15 minutes.
When vegetables are tender, warm the sliced brisket in the cooking broth, then plate everything along with the roasted shallots, warmed olives (warm them in the microwave for 30-45s), and Japanese mustard. Top with a little of the braising liquid, and enjoy!
Most corned beef briskets come in 3lb packs, so you'll need to make the whole 3 lbs and then reserve some for other recipes, such as corned beef hash.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 45.3g | Protein: 29.3g | Fat: 25.4g | Saturated Fat: 9.6g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 1870mg | Potassium: 1396mg | Fiber: 11.5g | Sugar: 13.5g