Crockpot Beef Stew
A slow cooker take on Vietnamese bo kho, a super flavorful rich and hearty beef stew.
- 1 lb beef cut into 1 inch cubes, see notes
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 1-2 potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium preferred
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 stalk lemongrass cut into 4 inch lengths, bruised
Optional but highly recommended spice packet
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
Toss the beef in the flour and season with salt and pepper.
Add the beef, along with the garlic, ginger, onion, potatoes, carrots, tomato paste, beef broth, fish sauce, and soy sauce to the crock pot. If your potatoes are poking out, push them down and add a bit more beef broth to make sure they’re covered.
Optional spice packet: wrap the star anise, fennel, cloves, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick in cheese cloth or place in a large tea bag for easy removal later. Add it to the stew.
Top with the lemongrass, cover, and cook on low for 10-12 hours on low or high for 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally. Remove the lemongrass and spice pack and enjoy warm!
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.2g | Protein: 39.4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2.9g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 1058mg | Potassium: 952mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sugar: 3.7g