Ziti alla Norma
Ziti tossed with sautéed eggplants and tomato sauce
- 1 eggplant cut into pieces similarly sized to the ziti
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces ziti or other short pasta
- ricotta salata or parmesan to serve
- fresh basil to serve
Heat up 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. When hot and shimmery, cook the eggplant in batches, until golden brown and very soft. Remove from the oil and set aside.
Add the garlic and cook until slightly soft. Add the tomatoes and oregano and bring to a gentle simmer.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve a 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain.
Add the eggplant and the pasta into the tomatoes and toss until coated and glossy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Serve with basil and cheese. Enjoy immediately.